IBBM 2017

Visualize results from two .xplt files as the amount of change from first to second
issueid=591 10-18-2012 09:27 AM
Visualize results from two .xplt files as the amount of change from first to second

I have an identical model with two sets of material properties simulating healthy and degenerate tissue. I would like display the results in PostView as the amount of change from one state to the next, instead of looking at absolute values. Essentially, I'm looking to "subtract out" the value of the healthy case when I show the degenerate case so that any areas where they are the same would have a value of 0 and areas that are not the same would show the amount of change. I'm not currently aware of any way to do this directly within PostView but I think it would be a nice addition.

Thanks,
Nathan
Issue Details
Issue Number 591
Issue Type Feature
Project PostView
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-23-2012 02:48 PM
Lead Code Developer
Hi Nathan,

This would be an interesting addition. I have thought about adding the possibility of loading multiple plot files simultaneously, but since this would require some drastic changes, I'm not sure when I would get around to that. I hope this is not a high priority for you right now, but we will take your suggestion into consideration as a future addition.

Cheers,

Steve.

10-25-2012 04:11 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was actually able to use a workaround by exporting all the strains for every element to a log file for both cases, doing the subtraction externally and then importing the difference as a user variable from a text file. The results looked really nice and were very helpful for the case I was working on so if eventually you are working on a major revision I think including that option would be a great addition.

One thing that I wasn't sure how to do when importing the user data was to apply the results to specific timesteps. I ended up only importing the results from the final time step and post view displayed them as timestep 1 (so on the undeformed shape). This was fine for what I was working on but I'd love to be able to apply all time steps, or to apply just the final step but have PostView recognize the final step and display on the final deformed image. I'm sure this is just a snipped of code I'm missing.

Thanks again

Nathan

10-26-2012 12:06 PM
Lead Code Developer
Hi Nathan,

The way it currently works is that you have to define the data for each time step. Each column defines the data to the corresponding time step. If you only have one column of data, then that data is applied to the first time step. There is no way right now to only apply data for the last time step, but you can simply copy the data to all the other columns. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve.

+ Reply