Element highlighting for plane-cuts
issueid=595 11-14-2012 02:01 AM

Sometimes it is handy to find an element based on its number and view it in (a possibly deformed state in) PostView (e.g. to try to understand where/why negative Jacobian's occur). Using the 'find' option under 'edit' I can enter an element number to 'highlight' the element in yellow. Althought the highlighting works the highlighting does not occur for cut faces. For instance if the element is inside a large volumetric mesh it can be handy to use cutting planes through this element to see it. However the yellow lines are not 'drawn' for the cut faces making it a bit tricky to position the planes and identity the element in the mesh.

So can you say highlight the element such that when its cut you can see it easily? Say highlight its faces which are then visible when cut?

I'll upload some screenshots to show this.

A side note is that small graphical errors occur sometimes when multiple cutting planes are used. This is also visible in the screenshot.

Thanks,

Kevin
Issue Details
Issue Number 595
Issue Type Feature
Project PostView
Category Unknown
Status Accepted
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-14-2012 02:03 AM
This is for PostView version 1.4.2 on Windows 7 64-bit.

Kevin

11-14-2012 08:58 AM
Lead Code Developer
Hi Kevin,

This is a good idea. I will look into it.

Can you explain that "graphical error" a bit more?

Thanks,

Steve.

11-14-2012 09:34 AM
The graphical error is just a display thing. Basically when you use two orthogonal cutting planes sometimes the display flickers and you can see into the model as if its hollow or briefly the mesh appears in the cutting plane. If you minimize the screen and open it again I think it goes away. Perhaps it is my computer but try it out on the attached model. Cut it in half in two directions and rotate and zoom a bit to see if anything odd appears.

Kevin

11-14-2012 12:57 PM
Lead Code Developer
Okay, I see what you mean. That's a peculiar thing. Not sure what's causing it, but I will look into it. Thanks for catching this.

Steve.

+ Reply