Postviewing lagging during element selection
issueid=715 05-11-2015 02:31 AM
Postviewing lagging during element selection
The postview screen freezes after selecting connected elements and responds back after some minutes

Dear FeBio team,
I would like to report a bug that I have seen in postview. If I make a elements selection the screen of the postview freezes and the visualisation of the selection does not appear only after some minutes. Until the visualisation to be displayed the postview is 'freezed' and only after the visualization it responds but misbehaving.

Best regards,
Konstantinos Mountris.
Issue Details
Issue Number 715
Project PostView
Category Unknown
Status Confirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-12-2015 03:19 PM
Lead Code Developer
Hi Konstantinos,

We actually noticed this issue a few weeks ago and I think I got it fixed. We'll try to get the latest version of PostView (version 1.9.0) on the web this week. Once it is available, give it a try and let us know if the problem is solved or not.

Cheers,

Steve

08-26-2015 06:58 AM
I still have this issue with PostView 1.9.1. Single click or double click (which probably activates some element search) seems to make it get stuck for quite a while.

It is as if you replaced your ray-tracing algorithm with a very inefficient one ;)

This was on a Windows 10 system.

Kevin

08-26-2015 10:05 AM
Lead Code Developer
Hi Kevin,

We are aware of this problem and although at some point I thought I fixed it (it got fixed on one of the systems where we had this same problem), it seems that many people are still having this issue. We do not know what is causing it at the moment. It's strange, since we haven't changed most the rendering code at all in years.

However, there is hope. We have started working on a new GUI for PostView (and PreView) using a new GUI engine (we suspect that our current GUI engine is part of the problem and the cause of some other issues we are having with the graphics). Of course, it will be many months before this new GUI will be ready, but I hope that this problem will disappear on its own once the switch in completed.

That said, I will continue to look for the cause of this problem and if I do find it, I will let you know. I am in the process of transitioning to Windows 10 myself, and I'll do some extensive testing of PostView on this system in the next couple of weeks. We do apologize for the inconvenience and hope to fix this issue one way or another in the near future.

Cheers,

Steve

+ Reply