Active contraction for compressible materials
issueid=743 04-14-2016 02:32 PM
Active contraction for compressible materials

Hi MRL Team,

I was wondering if there is the possibility of upgrading the active contraction capabilities for compressible materials to include strain dependence, specifically for a coupled solid mixture. It seems there are two possible ways to go about this:

1. Expand the current "Contraction in Mixtures of Compressible Materials" (4.12.2.1 of User Manual) to include dependence of active fiber stress on fiber strain similar to the model outlined in 5.10 of the Theory Manual.

2. Apply the Active Contraction for decoupled transversely isotropic materials such as TI Mooney-Rivlin (4.1.2.13 of User Manual) to coupled transversely isotropic materials.

Personally I would think option #1 would be better since that gives more freedom when implementing active contraction. However, I'm not sure the level of difficulty of implementation between the two.

In my experience working with both the Prescribed Uniaxial Active Contraction in a Solid Mixture (compressible) and both the Muscle Material and TI Mooney-Rivlin with Active Contraction (uncoupled) it seems the strain dependent models are more unstable than the simple Prescribed Uniaxial Active Contraction. My intuition tells me that is a result of the strain dependence of the active stress. My eventual goal is to include this in a fairly complex solid mixture so my concern is making the contraction too complicated for the solver.

Or is this something that is better suited as a separately developed plugin and then submitted?

Thanks!

-Ben
Issue Details
Issue Number 743
Issue Type Feature
Project FEBio
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0