Thread: Running FEBio from Command line Windows 10

Default Running FEBio from Command line Windows 10

Hello,

I am having some trouble running FEBio from the command line on a Windows 10 computer. I tried setting up the path environmental variable similar to how it is described for Windows 7 in the manual, but for some reason when I type in "febio" into command line, I get an error "febio is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". The same happens when I try "febio2" and "febio2x64", which we sometimes had to use on Windows 7.

Is the process different for setting up environmental variables using Windows 10? I'm a mac person, so using this new Windows computer is not easy for me :) Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Margot

Hi Margot,

Check a few things first:

- look in the FEBio installation folder (should be in C:\Program Files\FEBio2) and find the executable's name. It probably is febio2.exe. So, you should use febio2 on the command line.

- Also check the path you entered for the PATH variable and make sure it is correct. Don't include the name of the FEBio executable in the path.

- If you have a Command window open while you changed the PATH variable, you have to close it, and then open a new Command window.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick response. I did all those things and its still not working. The folder with FEBio is C:\Program Files\febio-2.6.3 and the executable name is FEBio2.exe. I entered the PATH variable for both the "user variables" and "system variables".

Is opening a new command window enough? Or do I need to restart the whole computer?

Thanks,
    Margot

Hi Margot,

Opening a new command window should do it. You don't need to restart the computer. Did you close the dialog box where you edit the path variable before opening a new command window?

When you open a command window, type path. That shows the environment path you entered and see if the FEBio folder shows up correctly. Double-check there is a semi-colon that separates the FEBio path from other paths.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Hi Steve,

Yup, the path is displayed correctly. This is so strange.

Hi Steve,

Yup, the path is displayed correctly. This is so strange.

Its working now! I had to add "\bin" to the path. I thought I tried that yesterday, I guess not.

Thanks for your help.