Thread: Crash under Windows 10

Default Crash under Windows 10

I've started giving my course in which I use FEBio. This morning I had the students do the PreView tutorials 1 and 2 and then run FEBio on the resulting model. For one of the students FEBio crashed after announcing SUCCESS in reading the .feb file. She is running Preview 1.20.4 and FEBio 2.6.4 under Windows 10 Home, version 1703, os build 15063.540, with 8 GB of RAM and lots of free disk space. Do you have any idea what might cause such a crash? I successfully ran her model under both Windows 7 (FEBio 2.6.3.9498) and Debian Linux (FEBio 2.6.2.9382). I've attached the .feb file.
    Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Robert,

I suspect what she did is copy the .feb file into the installation folder of FEBio (in Program Files). Under Windows, FEBio cannot create files directly in the installation folder, unless you run FEBio with Administrator privileges. So I'm guessing that FEBio is crashing when it tries to create the plot file. There are a few things she can try:

1. Right click on the FEBio exe file and select "Run as administrator". Then, from the FEBio prompt run the model by typing "run -i input.feb" (where input.feb must be replaced with the actual input file name).
    2. The better solution is to not place the .feb files in the installation folder, but place them somewhere in her Documents folder and setup the environment path so you can run FEBio from any folder. There are instructions in the user's manual in section 2.1 that describe how to make that happen.

I hope this helps. Let us know if this solves her problem or not.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Right on! Putting the .feb file somewhere else fixed it. Thanks!

Hi Steve,

Have you had reports about PostView issues in windows 10? With this thread I was able to run successfully my .feb files. However, the window of the PostView program doesn't seem to appear completely. The window appears shifted up and some icons can't be reached. I wander if this is an issue of the Win version.
    Thank you
    Roxana

Hi Roxana,

I'm not aware of issues with PostView on Windows 10. Which version of PostView are you using? We recently released the 2.0 version, so if you are not using that one, please try it first. If the problem persist, can you please take a screenshot so I can have a better idea of what you are seeing?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Maas,

I created a pdf to show you the way it works after the installation. I tried to install the most recent version and it does the same.
    The file is uploaded on google drive. This is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10r-...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks,
    Roxana

Hi Roxanna,

That is really strange. I'm afraid I don't know what could be causing this. The only thing I can think of is that your screen resolution is smaller than the minimum size for PostView. If you can increase your screen resolution, please give that a try. Another thing to try is to change the window size (so that the window is not maximized, e.g. by dragging and releasing the window's title bar) and then maximizing it again. Since PostView stores its window settings between sessions, hopefully that will fix it. If that doesn't fix it, we will be releasing PostView 2.1 soon and I'd be happy to let you try it to see if the issue somehow went away in that version.

Cheers,

Steve