Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorial 1: Running FEBio from the command line on Windows

Default Tutorial 1: Running FEBio from the command line on Windows

FEBio is a console based application. In other words, it does not have a GUI. This implies that on Windows you have to run FEBio from the command line. In order for this to work properly, the FEBio path needs to be added to the PATH environment variable. To set this variable, follow the following steps:

1. Click on the Start icon.
    2. Select the Control Panel. The Control Panel window appears.
    3. Find the system icon and double-click it to open the System Properties dialog box.
    4. Select the Advanced tab and click the "Environment Variables" button at the bottom of the page.
    5. Under User Variables, select the PATH variable and click the Edit button.
    6. Append the FEBio path (e.g. C:\Program Files\FEBio) at the end of the PATH variable's value field, seperated from the previous entry by a semicolon (;).
    7. Select OK on all the open dialog boxes.

Now that FEBio has been properly setup to run from a command prompt, you can open a console window as follows:
    1. Click on the Start icon
    2. Select the "Run ..." item to access the Run dialog box.
    3. Type cmd in the open field and click OK.

This should open a command window. You can use the cd command to navigate to your work folder. To invoke FEBio from the command line, simply enter:
    febio -i filename
    where filename is the name of your input file and press Enter.
    Last edited by maas; 01-31-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Default running FEbio

Hy in the command window whenever I type anything and return the command window dissapears, any help with this,
    Regards,
    Rhodri

Hi Rhodri,

Can you please elaborate? Are you opening the command window as instructed above? What are you typing in?

You can also run FEBio by double-cliking the icon or selecting it from the start menu. It will then prompt you for your input file.

Thanks,

Steve.

Default running FEbio

Yer I dont know if it makes a difference but i'm running it on Windows vista, I followed your instructions but there isn't a run option in the start menu. When i type in for eg febio -i ..... etc the command window just disappears,
    regards,
    Rhodri

Aha, I think I understand what you are doing. You first open FEBio (which opens a command window) and then you type febio -i filename. Is that correct? So, if you first open febio, it will prompt you for a filename. You do not have to type "febio -i" anymore then, you just have to specify the filename. Mind you that the filename has to include the path if the file is not in the same path as the febio executable.

The command window still exists on vista, but apparently has moved. A quick google search showed that you have to right-click on any folder holding the shift key down. Then you'll see an option "Open command window here". I don't have Vista, so I haven't been able to test this. Can you please let me know if this works so I can update my instructions above?

Thanks,

Steve.

Hy sorry but still getting the same problem, but when you say to put C:\Program files....etc in the user variables? there's no path file there, only in the system variables, do i need to create one in the user variables?
    thanks,
    Rhodri

Hi Rhodri,

I think it is indeed best to create a new path variable in the user variables. I would not change the one under system. However, I would copy the value of the system's path variable to your local one.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi I am also experiencing this same problem. I have opened febio from my start menu, but when I type in the file name the window disappears. I have tried also opening the tutorials directly from the folder in which they are stored, but the same thing happens. Please help if you know what's going wrong.
    Thanks
    Rosie

Hi Rosie,

When you run FEBio directly from the start menu, or by double-clicking the icon, the default windows behavior is to close to command window when FEBio is done. This is a Windows feature and this is not something we can change. However, keep in mind that FEBio creates a log file of everything that was written to the screen, so you can always consult that file.

Another approach would be to open a command window and run FEBio from there. To do that, simply follow the three-step process as outline in the first post of this thread. Mind you that this process only works for Windows XP.

Cheers,

Steve.

I am also trying to run FEBio in Windows Vista. When I open FEBio and input a file from preview the command window immediately disappears. How do I access the files after the program closes?