IBBM 2017

Thread: Volumetric Models Through Meshing

Default Volumetric Models Through Meshing

Dear FEBio community,

Some of the 3D models that we are trying to implement as merely "shells." In other words, they are not volumetric/parametric solids.
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to make volumetric models from the these shells or dumb-solids. And if the meshing method embeded in PreView, which I believe is based from TetGen, can do the trick for simulation purposes?

Thank you all!

-FLLF
    ​--
    Fluvio L. Lobo Fenoglietto, B.Bm.E., M.S.
    Development Engineer at the Prototyping, Development and 3D Printing Lab of the Institute for Simulation Training ? University of Central Florida

Hi Fluvio,

Do you want to convert the shells to volume elements (i.e. make then "thick") or do you want to fill the interior of the volume bounded by the shells? In the latter case, you should be able to use PreView tet mesh generator which indeed is based on TetGen. I suggest to give it a try and let us know if you run into problems.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Hello Steve,

In a related question, would there be a way to run the former case using TetGen? The 3D models that we have are shells that were generated from surface laser scans into an STL format. We want to convert the shell to a volumetric element with a uniform thickness while not filling in the shell (make the shell thick). Is it possible to do this in PreView using TetGen?

Thank you,
    Sunwoo